Our SDK Philosophy
SDKs are a critical interface for an API. We therefore put a lot of thought into what the developer experience should be:
- Type Safe - The SDKs we generate are fully typed.
- Human Readable - The SDKs we generate are easy for developers to read and debug.
- Batteries-Included - The SDKs we generate include everything from telemetry and retries to pagination.
- Fault Tolerant - Our generator is easy to use and outputs usable SDKs wherever possible. If we can't output a working SDK, we will validate your OpenAPI spec and alert you of the problems.
- Beyond OpenAPI - Our generator covers OpenAPI and can extend where OpenAPI falls short.
Our SDK Design
All the SDKs we generate are designed to be as idiomatic to their respective language as possible, while maintaining a common structure to allow for some familiarity in usage between them and an efficient, multi-language generation engine. Some of the design decisions we made are listed below:
- Each of the SDKs generally implement a base SDK class that contains the methods for each of the API endpoints defined in a spec.
- Where possible we generate fully typed models from the OpenAPI document and seperate those models defined as components in the docs and those that are defined inline with operations.
- We annotate types with metadata when needed to determine behavior at runtime such as serialization, parameter names, etc. based on the configuration in the OpenAPI schema.
- We generate full packages for each language that are publishable to a package registry with little additional work, getting them in to the hands of your end-users as quickly as possible.
If you have any feedback or want to suggest improvements or ask for a new feature please get in contact in the
#client-sdks channel in our public Slack.